
Washington, March 23, 2026 — President Donald Trump said Monday that the United States will postpone any military strikes on Iranian power plants and energy infrastructure for five days, citing “very good and productive conversations” with Iran aimed at resolving hostilities in the Middle East.
In an all-caps post on Truth Social, Trump stated that the U.S. and Iran had engaged in detailed discussions over the past two days regarding a “complete and total resolution of our hostilities.” He directed the Department of War (his reference to the Pentagon) to halt planned attacks on Iranian energy sites for the five-day period, making the pause “subject to the success of the ongoing meetings and discussions,” which he said would continue throughout the week.
The announcement follows weeks of escalating conflict now in its fourth week, involving U.S. and Israeli strikes on Iranian nuclear and military targets, Iranian retaliatory missile attacks on Israeli cities and other sites, and significant disruptions in the Strait of Hormuz — a critical chokepoint carrying roughly 20% of global oil shipments. Trump had earlier issued a 48-hour ultimatum demanding Iran fully reopen the strait or face major strikes on its energy infrastructure.
Markets React Positively to De-Escalation Signal
Financial markets responded sharply to the news. U.S. stock futures rose, with the S&P 500 on track for a strong gain, while oil prices dropped notably — Brent crude reportedly falling several dollars per barrel — as investors anticipated reduced risk to global energy supplies.
Iran Denies Any Talks Are Underway
Iranian officials quickly rejected Trump’s characterization. The Iranian Foreign Ministry stated there have been “no negotiations” or direct dialogue with the United States, describing the claim as psychological warfare or an attempt to manipulate oil markets and calm prices. A senior security official told state-linked media that Trump had “backed down” due to market pressure and Iranian threats rather than productive talks. Iran’s parliament speaker, Mohammad-Bagher Ghalibaf, similarly dismissed reports of negotiations as “fakenews” aimed at escaping a difficult position.
Some reports suggest possible indirect or backchannel communications involving third countries, but Tehran has maintained there are no formal talks with Washington.
Limited Scope of the Pause
The five-day moratorium applies specifically to U.S. strikes on Iranian power plants and broader energy infrastructure. It does not constitute a full ceasefire. Israeli operations against Iranian targets, including recent strikes in and around Tehran, have continued, and regional hostilities involving proxies persist. Trump has not declared an end to the conflict.
The development represents a short-term diplomatic opening in a rapidly evolving crisis driven by economic fallout from the energy disruptions and Hormuz standoff. Whether the pause leads to broader de-escalation remains uncertain and will likely depend on developments in the coming days.