Food & Drinks

Most Canadians Will Keep Boycotting American Alcohol Even If It Returns to Shelves

A strong majority of Canadians say they will continue to avoid American alcohol even if provincial liquor boards restock U.S. wines, beers, and spirits as part of a potential trade deal with the United States.

According to a Nanos Research poll conducted in late July 2026 for CTV News, 74 per cent of Canadians are either not likely (69 per cent) or somewhat not likely (5 per cent) to buy American alcohol if it returns to store shelves. That figure is up slightly from 70 per cent in a similar survey the previous year. The poll of 1,104 adults, conducted between July 28 and 30, carries a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Support for continued avoidance is especially high in British Columbia, where 80.9 per cent of respondents said they were unlikely or somewhat unlikely to resume purchases. Ontario followed at 74.7 per cent and Quebec at 73.9 per cent. Even in the Prairies, where Alberta and Saskatchewan never fully maintained the bans, the figure remained a solid 69.7 per cent. Older Canadians are more resolute: 75 per cent of those aged 55 and older said they would not buy U.S. alcohol again, compared with 60 per cent of those aged 18 to 34.

The findings come as Canada and the United States work to finalize a trade agreement that could see the provincial bans lifted. U.S. President Donald Trump had threatened 50 per cent tariffs on a range of Canadian goods effective August 19, citing the alcohol restrictions among other issues. He later announced a short pause while negotiators worked toward a deal. Prime Minister Mark Carney has asked the provinces to put American alcohol back on shelves as part of the emerging agreement. Most provinces, with the exception of Alberta and Saskatchewan, removed U.S. products from government-run liquor stores beginning in March 2025 in response to earlier American tariffs on Canadian goods.

The bans delivered a heavy blow to U.S. exporters. Official figures show Canadian imports of American alcoholic beverages fell by roughly 81 per cent in the year after the restrictions took effect, dropping from about $718 million to $137 million. Ontario’s Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO), one of the largest buyers, had previously listed more than 3,600 U.S. products that together accounted for a significant share of its sales. Industry estimates put the hit to American spirits and wine producers in the hundreds of millions of dollars, with associated job losses in the United States.

Canadian producers, by contrast, experienced a clear windfall. Sales of Ontario VQA wines, made from grapes grown in the province, rose sharply—reports put the increase between 60 and 80 per cent or higher in the first year of the ban. British Columbia wines also gained substantial ground in Ontario stores. Domestic spirits, including Canadian whisky, saw solid gains as drinkers shifted away from Kentucky bourbon and other American staples. Bars and restaurants adapted by featuring alternatives from India, Australia, South America, and Europe. Some operators reported that customers embraced the change and showed little interest in returning to familiar U.S. brands.

Consumer interviews reflect the same shift in attitude. Many describe the boycott as a matter of principle after months of trade friction and political rhetoric. “Just because it goes back on the shelves doesn’t mean that sales are going to go back to where they were,” one Nova Scotia resident told CBC News. “The damage has been done.” Others say they simply discovered better or more interesting options during the absence of American products and see no reason to reverse course.

Not every province or demographic is equally firm. Younger drinkers and residents of the Prairies show higher willingness to resume purchases. Some industry voices in the wine trade believe certain high-quality California bottles will regain shelf space and customers once availability and competitive pricing return. Yet even optimistic retailers acknowledge that habits formed over more than a year will not reverse overnight.

The political picture remains complicated. Provincial governments control liquor sales, and some premiers have previously tied any return of American products to broader relief from U.S. tariffs on steel, aluminum, and automobiles. British Columbia’s leadership has been particularly vocal in the past about keeping U.S. alcohol off shelves. Whether all provinces will fully comply with Ottawa’s request remains an open question even as federal negotiators push for a comprehensive deal.

For Canadian liquor boards, the practical challenges of restocking are real. The LCBO has been sitting on tens of millions of dollars worth of previously purchased American inventory that was warehoused when the ban took effect. Returning those products, or placing new orders, will require decisions about pricing, shelf space, and marketing at a time when domestic brands have claimed more prominence.

The larger question is whether the consumer boycott has become structural. Trade disputes come and go, but repeated polling shows the resistance to American alcohol has held steady or even strengthened over time. Older Canadians, who form a large share of the premium wine and spirits market, appear especially unlikely to change their minds. Younger drinkers may prove more flexible, yet they also represent a smaller portion of overall spending in the category.

If the bans are lifted in the coming weeks or months, American producers will face the challenge of winning back not only shelf space but also goodwill. Canadian competitors, having enjoyed expanded distribution and stronger brand awareness, will work hard to hold on to their gains. Retail data in the months after any return will reveal whether stated intentions translate into lasting behaviour or whether price, familiarity, and convenience eventually erode the boycott.

For now, the message from a clear majority of Canadians is consistent. Availability alone may not be enough to restore American alcohol to its former place in Canadian shopping carts and bar menus. The trade war that began on the shelves of liquor stores has left a lasting mark on consumer preferences that policy changes alone may not quickly erase.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Discover more from NEWS NEST

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Verified by MonsterInsights